You have an increased risk for getting HIV if you:
- Are a man who has sex with other men.
- Have multiple sex partners, especially partners who inject drugs.
- Inject drugs or steroids, especially if you share needles, syringes, cookers, or other equipment used to inject drugs.
- Have high-risk partner(s) (a man or woman who has multiple sex partners or injects drugs, or a man who has sex with men).
- Have or have recently had a sexually transmitted infection, such as syphilis or genital herpes.
Having sex with a person who has any of these behaviors also puts you at the same risk for becoming infected with other sexually transmitted infections.
By Healthwise Staff Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine Specialist Medical Reviewer Peter Shalit, MD, PhD - Internal Medicine Last Revised April 5, 2012